Has the grey and cold of winter seeped into your psyche and wrapped your senses in a dull coat of doldrums? Take time to revitalize your senses and refresh your mind with one of these restorative getaways:
1) Terme di Saturina Spa & Golf Resort – A Tuscan treasure at the foot of the medieval village of Saturnia, Italy. Relax with a candle-light massage for two in the Blackrose Spa Suite, or restore with the Saturnia Gold Facial anti-aging treatment. Soak in the waters of the natural thermal springs that have been enjoyed by those in the know since the Etruscan period.
2) Four Seasons Resort, Bora Bora – Located on its own island, private boat transfers are met with aromatic towels and bottled water. Stay in an overwater bungalow with glass floor panels or a luxurious villa on the pristine white-sand beach. Indulge in a sensory shower with tropical storm and polar mist settings. The exceptional spa uses distinctive touches like the fragrance of vanilla and the texture of black pearls to enhance your indulgences.
3) Hong Kong – Ancient Chinese wellness treatments and sumptuous massage therapies await you in this fascinating city. Nourish your body with incredible cuisine or nurture your soul with a visit to ancient temples.
4) Canyon Ranch Spa – The unparalleled spa-resort that accentuates healthy life styles while replenishing your soul. Hike, bike and play tennis in the Tucson, AZ desert splendor, or enjoy cross-country skiing, hiking and kayaking at the elegant Bellefontaine Mansion in Lenox, MA. Lavish spa treatments are one of the hallmarks of both locations.
5) Greece – The mythical Greek Isles will invigorate and renew your senses, from the fragrance of sage and thyme, to the view of a white village spilling down a hillside to the cobalt sea. Taste the flavorful Mediterranean cuisine, hear the heartfelt music, and indulge in a Grecian spa with their legendary healing waters to complete your sensory journey.
6) Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa – One of the few luxury spa resorts in the US with its own ancient source of thermal mineral water. This wine country haven offers Michelin Star dining, Watsu floating massage, and their unique 10-step bathing ritual experience to nurture and restore you.
7) Hawaii – Filled with idyllic beaches and colorful gardens, you can unwind and revitalize in the tropical paradise of Hawaii. Challenge your body by learning to surf or hula, renew your spirit with a spectacular sunrise, or enrich your mind with stories of the colorful Hawaiian culture. Top it off with an authentic Pacific Island spa treatment and you will feel like a new person.
8) Oceania Cruise – A luxurious cruise experience with unmatched service and interesting, engaging itineraries. Oceania claims the finest cuisine at sea and boasts more than one staff member per guest. Relax in the sun on deck, or dance under the stars; learn about the history and culture of your destination or indulge in the on board wellness and fitness classes. Do it all, or nothing at all to rejuvenate yourself.
9) One & Only Palmilla, Los Cabos, Mexico – With luxurious suites, butler service, and sublime dining, this resort caters to your every need. Spa villa accommodations have open- air gardens, day beds, and rain showers for your relaxation. Indulge in an exquisite foot rejuvenation massage or a host of other spa treatments in the privacy of your own suite.
10) Massage – Though universally delightful, different types of massage are used for different results. Some are for relaxation, some for healing, and others to relieve muscle stress. Swedish massage uses long gliding strokes to promote relaxation and healing. Aromatherapy uses essential oils to rejuvenate and detoxify. Deep tissue massage is a stronger touch used to increase circulation or reduce scar tissue. Cultural differences influence massage also. Traditional Thai massage combines yoga-like stretching with eastern acupuncture, Japanese Reiki achieves a calming relaxed state, and Hawaiian Lomilomi, energizes and awakens the spirit with vigorous movements.
These are ten of my favorite places to reconnect with body and soul. Contact our spa specialists at Covington today to plan how you too can shake off the winter blahs.
Source: Virtuoso Body and Soul, February 2010